Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Driving Mr. Alexander...


I'm a driver today...
My husband is having another colonoscopy...
He's in a high risk group since his family has a colon cancer history.
He's all good...no worries...thanks for asking.
So, I'm in the waiting room, an obedient driver...
"Don't leave the building." the receptionist tells me.
Which leads me to...
Nothing is more tempting to do as something you are told you can't do.
I want to leave the building just for the sake of leaving.
I need to go to the bank.
On a normal day, I might put it off.
Today I cannot wait to go.
Part of me thinks I may just do it.
The other part is saying "What if...?" and conjures up all sorts of scenarios.
It's the old angel and devil on my shoulders situation.
So here I sit...
Arguing with me...
Asking myself if I'm hungry...
Assuming the cafeteria won't have anything I would like...
Trader Joe's is just a half mile away.
They have super yummy snacks.
I have a granola bar in my purse but...
It's a beautiful day, a walk would be nice...
I check my email for the 3rd time.
I love to people watch so I look around the small waiting room.
The guy sitting across from me isn't reading or watching TV or anything.
He's just looking around.
For the last 15 minutes...
I wonder what he's thinking about.
He looks like he'd be thinking about fishing or hunting.
He's wearing a duck hunting hat...maybe it's a Duck Dynasty hat...he must be a fan.
A lady reads for a while and watches TV for a while...she's multi-tasking.
It's just the 3 of us here...waiting...
A slow colonoscopy day apparently.
I am antsy...
I can get a pager and walk around the hospital...
But I really don't like hospitals.
Except when a baby is born.
But other than that, yuk.
I resign myself to staying in the building.
Maybe I'll go to the cafeteria and get a drink...
I'll plan my drive home...
I'll need to run by the bank...
And to a restaurant to get my very hungry husband something to eat!
Poor guy.
I think I got the better end of this deal...
No pun intended.

No comments: