Thursday, October 30, 2014

NaNoWriMo!


Have you heard of it?
NaNoWriMo?
It stands for National Novel Writing Month.
You write 50,000 words in the month of November.
I first heard about it 3 years ago...
I saw blog posts from writers who'd succeeded...
I read about their victory...writing an entire novel in a month.
WOW!
So this November, I am going to throw my hat in the NaNoWriMo ring.
I even registered on their site...
I really, really, really want to do it.
The point is, the DOING of it.
Not the marketability of it after the 30 days.
The DOING of the THING.
Writing a novel...really, really doing it!
And who knows.
It might be a masterpiece...or...
Not.
Or perhaps it will be the bare bones of what could be...
Finally a finished skeleton of the novel I've been wanting to write.
The thing is...
Perfectionism is my greatest nemesis.
I want to produce good stuff.
Nothing wrong with that.
But when producing good stuff prevents me from producing anything,
That's when there's a problem.
I think NaNoWriMo is a genius way to get writers past their barriers...
By putting a time limit on their goal...
Get to it!
So during November, National Novel Writing Month,
I will be busy.
Writing.
A lot.
So if I don't answer emails or comment on Facebook posts,
Don't be offended.
And if I do answer emails and comment on your Facebook posts,
Tell me to get back to writing because...
It's NaNoWriMo!

No comments: