Monday, February 18, 2008

The Stuff of the Old Days...

What is this exactly!? Does it actually have anything to do with sheep? I suppose I could google it but I'm not THAT curious. I just bought a bunch of these old labels...with the purpose of selling them in my etsy supplies shop. I am having a hard time parting with ephemera. I think I am so enamored with the simpler things of the past that when I find something cool, I just want to hang on.
I've never been a hoarder...I've always been a thrower-awayer. To a fault. With regrets. I have one little box of goodies from my childhood. One. I think back, however, and wish I had kept some of my favorite clothes, some books, some little trinkets that I remember and can't find anywhere to repurchase. Dumb stuff, really, which is why I probably threw it out in the first place. I didn't have a grasp of the sentimentality...I was too immature to feel the feelings attached to it and wanted to grow up and move on...so a few little items hit the trash and I never looked back...until recently. I'm in my 40's...at the age when grandparents are passing on...and I'm revisiting fond memories. Wishing I had that toy or that outfit if only just to SEE it again! Recently I bought some clickers at Goodwill. Remember those? You just squeeze them and they make a clicking sound. I've seen novelty ones shaped like frogs or ducks but never the plain rectangle-shaped ones of my childhood...and there they were! I snatched them up so fast! I clicked them and brought them home and showed my kids. Then I told them the story of how my siblings and I used to play "bike cars" - we'd ride our bikes on the trails by our house and when we'd make a turn, we'd click the clickers to sound like a blinker. OH it was so fun...we felt so grown up! Turning my blinker on isn't nearly as fun now that I'm an adult!
So...I will part with this label...I will, I will, I will. It has no sentimental meaning for me. I will divy up my stash of labels and list them...probably this week.

No comments: