Sunday, April 27, 2014

Solo Fellowship...


Solo fellowship?  An oxymoron?

I love solo runs.  By myself.  Alone.  Me and my iPod.

I drive to the trail...stretch...turn on my iPod and go.  I listen Christian music mostly...the good stuff...Needtobreathe, Rend Collective, Tobymac...

As I run, my mind is caught up in the music...the words...the beat (Needtobreathe makes music that goes perfectly with my stride.)
It's not long before a lyric brings to mind something I'm thankful for...
Then something to pray about...
I come to a hill and I struggle...
I focus on the music...
It's so strange, it seems that every time I get to the hills, the music is PERFECTLY timed for that particular challenge.

As my run continues, I realize that I'm not alone at all.
I've been chatting with God the entire time.
Worshiping Him in the sunshine...or rain...
Enjoying His creation...
The sweet scent of the grass and trees...
The occasional bunny crossing my path...
The fresh air filling my lungs...

When I get to the last hill, the one that kicks my butt every time, I thank Him for giving me the strength, the legs, the ability at my age, to run up that hill...
Running isn't easy.
It's not always fun.
But...
It's a place that I meet God...
It makes me feel strong...stronger...
physically...
and spiritually...

I love the fellowship of running with friends....
but a solo run...solo fellowship...is sacred.

No comments: