Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chicks!


Chicks!, originally uploaded by HA! Designs - Artbyheather.

I finally got my chicks! The chicken coop is up and ready for residents and all they need to do is grow! There are 6 in all and I expect to be knee deep in eggs by fall...or early winter...if they aren't put off by the cold.
We named them all old lady names...Lucy, Effie,Pearl, Gertie, Opal and Yvonne. They are different breeds so the flock will be colorful but I do have two Ameraucanas which will lay blue eggs!
I don't know why I've always loved chickens...I suppose because they're productive...they're the pet that gives back. But they also have big personalities...even as chicks! They're fun to watch. I never knew that until I was asked to feed my friend's chickens a few years ago. They were really sweet...I was sort of afraid of them at first, but they were fun to care for...and they were happy to forfeit their eggs. I was hooked! So now I've come full circle...from wanting to having...and I'll enjoy every minute!

No comments: