Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Ladies are Chicken and so am I...

We had a snowy Sunday!  I love the snow.  My ladies do not.
When I went outside to share some left-over popcorn with them, they were huddled in the un-snowy part of the pen.  They were cackling to each other, likely cursing the cold stuff that had just shrunk their living space by two thirds!  
(An aside:  As I watched them, it occurred to me...I have 8 hens.  I can't help but think it would be challenging for 8 females of any species to live together...and to have their living space reduced to one third its original size.  I suppose it helps that their bathroom is anywhere and everywhere...no waiting...)
On a normal day, they will run to the door to greet me when I visit...I like to think they do that because they like me...the truth is, they like scratch and I'm their supplier.  Sunday, however, they did not sprint to the door.  They wanted to...they watched me as I made my way, bravely, through the snow to get to them, but they did not leave the safety and warmth of the bare ground.  I didn't venture into the pen on this visit...I was only stopping by to empty the popcorn bowl before putting it into the dishwasher.  I opened the door and tossed the bowl up to release its contents as far as possible so they could reach it.  Unfortunately, I remembered one second too late that popcorn is very light and airy and would not travel very far once leaving the bowl.  Every kernel landed in the snow.  
The ladies had a decision to make.
Do we step onto the freezy cold snow to enjoy one of our favorite treats or do we stay where we are and stare at it...pine for it...perhaps watch a braver coop-mate enjoy the treat?
They hesitated.
Then it was too much.  
A few of them took brave steps and stretched their necks to make the most of their effort.  When they had consumed what they could reach, they cackled a bit and took another step.  I watched them for a while.  Some held back and didn't get a single bite.  Others enjoyed the snack without competition. 
It occurred to me as I watched them...I do the same thing.  I see something I want in the distance...outside of my comfort zone.  I tend to stare at it for a long time, wondering what it would be like to have it, to achieve it, to do that thing.  Sometimes I wait too long and the opportunity passes.  I'm often easily distracted from difficult tasks, citing more important things to do, in an effort to avoid the struggle to reach my goals.  Sometimes, though, I venture out in spite of the discomfort and reap the rewards of hard work and perseverance. 
It's a matter of faith.  Faith in the One who created me, gifted me and has a plan for my life.  When I seek the Lord in all that I do, I can be sure that I'll have everything I need to accomplish the goals before me.  He is faithful to walk with me as I faithfully step out into the cold unknown to fulfill His purpose for my life. 

 2 Timothy 1:7 
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 
(NLT)


No comments: