Thursday, May 3, 2012



     I used to belong to a collage group online.  Every week we'd get collage elements and we'd create something funky out of them!  It was so fun!  I let busyness get the best of me and let my participation lag.  The group eventually fizzled out and ended.  I miss it. 
     I recently joined a writing group.  It's fabulous.  I've always enjoyed writing.  I remember writing a novel in 6th grade...I'd write chapter after chapter and read them to my mom.  She'd listen.  Bless her!  I must have thrown the novel away...I don't have it.  I remember it was about babysitting and it was funny...well, I thought it was funny!  
     I'll share what I write for the group here...since I've been neglecting my blogging duties, this will be a good way to get back into the groove.  

The first prompt I used was:  What is your favorite time of day?

      My favorite time of day is whenever the creative juices start to flow.  I love that light bulb moment when an idea is born and my mind starts to race! 
       Creativity usually strikes in the morning, after a few sips of coffee and before the list of daily chores takes over my thoughts.  As I’ve gotten older, however, the wee hours of the morning, while the rest of humanity slumbers, has turned into my most creative time.  My mind will jolt me awake, reveal its treasure and then remind me that it’s three a.m. and I should be sleeping.  I agree with myself and go back to brainstorming the seemingly magnificent thought that trumped sleep just moments before.  I’ll get excited, toss and turn a bit and try not to disturb my husband who is, by now, used to my middle-of-the-night creative monsoons.
       Every time this happens, I tell myself that I really should take a moment to write down all of the thoughts that seem so brilliant in the middle of the night.  I then say to me the 7 words that are a lie through and through:  “No, I’ll remember it in the morning” and eventually slip back into fitful sleep.
       In the morning, after the coffee has worked it’s magic, I think back to my early morning awakening and usually find only this convicting phrase:  “You should have written it down.”

No comments: